7.24.2007

Man vs. Pampering

So it's all over the news today- Bear Grylls is a phoney. I'm glad I didn't prematurely induct him into the Wall of Man. I had always suspected that he planned out the episode prior to 'being dropped into the hellhole' that the particular episode was built around.

I sort of assumed he looked at a map of the terrain to plan his route, studied what plants and wildlife he could expect to find and maybe even schemed up the contraptions he could build ahead of time. I never suspected he was being put up in luxurious resorts with cable TV and wi-fi internet access! I mean... my parents didn't have those two amenities in their place of permanent residence until LAST WEEK. That's another story for another day, but if Grylls was spending his nights in hotels that are nicer than my apartment instead of camping with the rattlesnakes, I know a lot of loyal viewers will be pretty pissed. The Discovery Channel is standing pat behind their witty birtish host and claiming that some of the leaks are exaggerated, so let's see how this all plays out. For now, Mr. Grylls (I wonder if that's his real name- even that seems too cool to be real at this point) appears to be up to his neck in bullshit.


I'll still probably watch Man vs. Wild because it's wildly entertaining and some of the stuff he does is still pretty badass, but it definitely loses some status in my book. This will allow me to divert some of my attention and DVR space to a new show called Human Weapon. The show follows two guys who are travelling around the globe, learning intense fighting styles indiginous to the areas of travel. They undergo some intense training and eventually fight an established master in the fighting style. Neither of the hosts are very likeable. They're not that tough, cool, charismatic... or even that awesome at fighting. At least they don't fake the fights!

1 Comments:

At 7/24/2007 8:05 PM , Blogger Oakley said...

Watch Survivorman. He films everything himself, no crew. He's miserable and constantly fucking things up. Sooner or later he's going to die on the show. He currently hold the record for worst igloo ever made and most ill advised night ever spent in the Costa Rican jungle.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home